RelatedPosts Aguero could be out of action until November, Guardiola says David Silva recovers from COVID-19 Man City top players test positive for coronavirus Wolverhampton Wanderers blew a two-goal lead as Wolves produced a stunning second-half comeback to win 3-2 on a dramatic evening at Molineux. Raheem Sterling had scored twice even after Ederson’s early red card but Adama Traore pulled one back and set up Raul Jimenez for the equaliser before Matt Doherty’s late winner. The thrilling contest was played out amid an intense atmosphere that was only heightened by a series of debatable VAR decisions, not least a twice-taken – and twice saved – penalty by Sterling. The result moves Wolves up to fifth but perhaps more significantly means City stay third and remain 14 points adrift of runaway leaders Liverpool.Tags: Manchester CityRaheem SterlingWolverthanpton Wanderers
RelatedPosts Bale completes Tottenham return from Real Madrid Live stream Premier League, La Liga, Serie A on Showmax Pro this weekend Premier League, La Liga back on DStv, GOtv The Spanish league has ordered full team training sessions will resume Monday, ahead of the first match to be played following the coronavirus stoppage.La Liga said the government gave authorisation on Saturday for squads to practice together. Until now, players had been limited to individual training before progressing to small groups.The league, which has been on hold since March 12, will restart on June 11 when Sevilla faces Real Betis without fans.The 11 rounds remaining are due to be played until July 19, according to the government.Barcelona leads Real Madrid by two points at the top of the table.Tags: La LigaTeamsTraining Resumption
Conor Murray insists Ireland are in a “good place” despite experiencing contrasting emotions after two rounds of their RBS 6 Nations campaign. Press Association An encouraging opening-day victory over Wales was followed by an error-strew display of tactical naivety in losing 12-6 to England, a result that has transformed Sunday’s clash with Scotland into a must-win encounter. Injury and suspension is undermining what is a critical Six Nations in the reign of head coach Declan Kidney, whose contract expires after the tournament. Murray, who will be winning his 17th cap on Sunday, insists spirits remain high, and the Munster scrum-half said: “The atmosphere is good. It was tough to lose to England at home, but overall there’s a good positive vibe around the camp.” He added: “One loss doesn’t suddenly turn you into a bad team. We’ve been playing quite well. We’re in a good place. “It was a hard defeat to take because it was a tight game. When we took it back to 6-6 it could have gone either way. But we want to forget about England and concentrate on playing Scotland with a lot of confidence, like we should do. “There are a few injuries but that means there will be some new faces in the squad, which is exciting. “You try not to have injuries but they’re part and parcel of the game. The players coming in have been around the squad a while and have fitted in seamlessly.” Ireland have won on their last five trips to Edinburgh in the Six Nations with Scotland’s only victory in the fixture arriving at Croke Park in 2010. Kidney has selected uncapped Ulster duo Paddy Jackson and Luke Marshall at fly-half and inside centre respectively to replace the injured Jonathan Sexton and Gordon D’Arcy. Meanwhile, Ireland and Ulster flanker Stephen Ferris has suffered a setback in his recovery from an ankle problem which has seen him ruled out since November. The 27-year-old underwent surgery in December after he sustained tendon damage to his ankle during Ulster’s RaboDirect Pro12 match against Edinburgh.
He added: “At the moment I can’t really say what will happen. But I like it here and I’m thankful that Fulham gave me the chance to play in the Premier League.” Riether had never played outside of his home country until making the move to Fulham. But the 29-year-old, who made his two Germany appearances in 2010, admitted he had felt at home straight away. “In my mind, I’ve never thought of myself as being here ‘on loan’,” he said. “I give my best as if I’m here for a long time. I’ve never felt I was coming here for a short time, for a holiday. I always give everything in each game I play and see myself as a Fulham player, not a Cologne player. “For me, it’s been a great time here so far. It was my first experience of another country and it was a big step for me to come to England. I have always played in Germany but this was an exciting challenge for me. On-loan full-back Sascha Riether has revealed that talks to keep him at Fulham could begin this month. Riether has impressed since moving to Craven Cottage on a year-long loan from German side Cologne at the start of the season, with boss Martin Jol previously indicating his desire to keep him. Jol is keen to trigger a clause in his contract to secure a permanent move and Riether and Riether told Fulham’s official website: “I’d like to remain here. Fulham have an option to buy me and so I think in the next few weeks there will be talks about my future.” Press Association
West Ham defender Guy Demel remains hopeful that on-loan forward Andy Carroll will remain at the club next season. Carroll is currently on a season-long deal at Upton Park from parent club Liverpool, and has scored only five times since moving to east London last summer. But Demel wants the England international to extend his stay at West Ham, and said: “Andy is a really good player and beyond that he is a really good man.” Press Association He went on: “I didn’t know him before he signed for West Ham but to see a young player with the amount of pressure he had and the way he has behaved, I’m really happy to be his team-mate and I’d be really pleased if he stayed and played for West Ham.” Liverpool splashed out £35million on Carroll to take him from hometown club Newcastle in January 2011 as they looked to re-establish themselves in the top four of the Premier League. Despite signing the likes of Carroll, Luis Suarez, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing the Reds have struggled to fight the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea but Demel is still expecting a tough task at Anfield on Sunday. “It is still Anfield, it is still Liverpool,” he added. “They won’t be easy to beat and it won’t be easy to play there even if they aren’t the great Liverpool. “They still have really good players in the squad who are capable of making a difference so we just have to focus on the basics and play our best.”
Two Michael Fennelly goals in the first half set the All-Ireland champions up for another league crown, achieved in the absence of their manager Bran Cody, who is recovering from heart surgery. Fennelly rifled home a third minute goal to give Kilkenny an early boost, and after Tipp had fought back with points from Eoin Kelly, Noel McGrath and Seamus Callanan, Fennelly fired in a second goal from a tight angle in the 21st minute. Press Association Once again, the Premier county battled their way back into the game, hitting quality scores through Brendan Maher (3), Kelly and Noel McGrath. But late scores from Lester Ryan and Fennelly sent the Cats in with a 2-7 to 0-11 interval lead. Brendan Maher brought Tipperary level with his fourth point midway through the second half, moments after a flare-up had resulted in the straight red card dismissals of Kilkenny full back JJ Delaney and Tipp attacker Lar Corbett. Kilkenny pushed on in the closing stages with Eoin Larkin, Ryan and Michael Rice hitting the points that saw them over the finish line. Kilkenny retained their National Hurling League title with a 2-17 to 0-20 win over Tipperary at Nowlan Park.
Winner of the 2000 Guineas and the English and Irish Derbys during a spectacular three-year-old campaign, he later recovered from colic, and was sent off the red-hot 1-3 favourite to take this Group Three prize on his comeback. Jim Bolger’s 2011 Dewhurst winner Parish Hall was expected to be the main danger. Camelot was settled last of the five runners, but Joseph O’Brien eased him closer once they straightened up for home and it was clear he was travelling far easier than his rivals. He was shaken up and found a nice turn of foot to overhaul his pacemaker Triumphant by a length and three-quarters, with Parish Hall slightly disappointing in third. O’Brien snr said: “I’m delighted with that. He had big colic surgery in the winter and you never really know what is going to happen, but he has all his class and speed still so it’s great. “It was major open surgery, and after the surgery is a massive time. He went to Coolmore and was not with us for months. I was surprised at the shape he was in when he came back – that surgery is massive and we are lucky to have him. “You take one race at a time, but the plan was always to start here, come back here for the Tattersalls Gold Cup (May 26) and then go for the Prince Of Wales’s Stakes (at Royal Ascot). “He has a lot of speed – I know he got a mile and a half last year, but you saw the speed he has today, he has a lot of pace. Joseph said fitness-wise he was around 70 per cent.” The result completed a double for the Ballydoyle team after Michaelmas justified odds-on favouritism with a workmanlike victory in the Alfred Nobel EBF Race. Narrowly beaten on his debut at Leopardstown last month, the 2-9 favourite was sent straight to the front and while he had to be kept up to his work in the last of the five furlongs, he was good value for his winning margin of three-quarters of a length over Candy Apples, with The Organ Grinder similarly promising in third. O’Brien snr said: “He did it nicely. He was still green in front. There is a winner’s race in Naas (May 15) he might go for. He was lazy and idling away and that’s why he let him gallop along. I thought he won well enough.” Aidan O’Brien declared himself delighted after seeing his triple Classic winner Camelot make a perfectly satisfactory return to action in the High Chaparral EBF Mooresbridge Stakes at the Curragh. Press Association
Sir Alex Ferguson claims he feels humbled by the support he has received during his time as Manchester United manager. After almost 27 years in one of the most pressurised roles in the game, Ferguson has finally called time on his United career and will stand down after the final Premier League game of the season at West Brom on May 19. Ferguson will speak directly to supporters immediately after his last Old Trafford outing, against Swansea on Sunday. But it is clear the bond between boss and club will remain strong, and he said: “The support the fans have provided over the years has been truly humbling. It has been an honour and an enormous privilege to have had the opportunity to lead the club. I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United.” Twenty-four hours after the Swansea game, Ferguson will address the crowd at the start of United’s trophy parade into the centre of Manchester, which is now certain to attract enormous crowds. After 38 trophies and so many memories, it seems a brutal conclusion, especially as Ferguson declared in his own programme notes on Sunday that he intended to carry on for a while yet, but the 71-year-old is adamant he is right to bow out now. “The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly,” he said. “It is the right time.” As players and senior figures within Ferguson’s backroom team absorbed the information on Wednesday, the mood is said to have been sombre, knowing even with an element of continuity through the anticipated appointment of Everton manager David Moyes, some kind of change is inevitable. Having already had a pacemaker fitted in 2004, Ferguson had to take further notice of his health when he was informed surgery was required to cure a hip complaint. So, in assessing a squad good enough to win the title with four games to spare and was unfortunate to get knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid, Ferguson concluded he they were in good enough shape for him to leave behind. “It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so,” said Ferguson. “The quality of this league-winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one.” Press Association
The survey showed that 51% of those questioned believed the move would provide West Ham with the resources to improve the squad and build the club. The other reasons given for supporting the move included growing the club’s supporter base and the belief the Olympic Stadium would provide an improved fan experience. Press Association Only 5% of the 11,858 supporters questioned were against West Ham leaving Upton Park under any circumstances while 10% said they would consider backing the move but they required more information. Those supporters have been offered the chance to take part in on-going consultation sessions throughout this summer. West Ham plan to move into the Olympic Stadium, with a post-conversion capacity of 54,000, for the start of the 2016/17 season. The club’s vice-chairman Karren Brady said: “I am delighted that the SMG YouGov independent poll shows that such an overwhelming majority of our fans are in favour of our plans to move to the Olympic Stadium. “I would like to thank each and every supporter that took the time to have their say on what is an historic and monumental decision for the club. We must now engage further with the fans who’ve requested more information but it is fantastic to know that the consensus among our supporters is that they are behind the move.” MG YouGov said the poll was six times larger than typical surveys of 2000 people used for robust research analysis, therefore greatly reducing the margin for error. The results have been published on West Ham’s official website whufc.com. West Ham’s plan to move into the Olympic Stadium has the backing of 85% of the club’s supporters, according to a comprehensive poll conducted by SMG YouGov.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has hit back at former referee Graham Poll’s criticism of him following his touchline bust-up with Manuel Pellegrini. The 52-year-old found himself in the headlines for the wrong reasons last weekend after his four-letter rant at the Manchester City manager in the wake of Cheick Tiote’s controversially disallowed equaliser. Newspaper columnist Poll agreed Tiote’s strike should not have been chalked off by match referee Mike Jones, but described Pardew as a “Jekyll and Hyde” character, one who can be charming away from the heat of battle but combustible during the 90 minutes. Indeed, he revealed he will punish himself for his behaviour, which earned him a warning from the Football Association rather than a charge. He said: “I am not proud of the comment I made and I am going to punish myself. I have got a couple of ideas that I will do locally that will take up my time and money. “There are a couple of things I can do that I think will help boys’ clubs in the area and stuff like that that have been on the back-burner, so I will accelerate them and make sure I look after my local community here.” In the meantime, Pardew – who revealed that defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has written to City midfielder Samir Nasri to express his regret at the injury his challenge caused – will concentrate on the task of attempting to end a run of four successive defeats, something he believes his side are more than capable of doing at Upton Park. The manager said: “I don’t think we have got a lack of confidence or we are not playing well. We gave Manchester City the best game they have had in the last 10 by a long, long way, and we need to take that into West Ham.” Hammers boss Sam Allardyce could have former Magpies striker Andy Carroll back among their armoury after his return to fitness, and Pardew knows ring rust will not be an issue. He said: “Andy is a presence who can get his game together quite quickly, it’s not based around fitness or sharpness. “He’s a big, aggressive target man and he is very good at that, and I would expect him to be as problematic on Saturday if he starts as if he had played 10 games. “That we are wary of, but we know him very well. He’s a local lad and obviously came through the ranks here, so we know everything about him and hopefully we can deal with him.” Meanwhile, Pardew has insisted Jonas Gutierrez, who sealed a loan move to Norwich this week, had done nothing wrong to prompt his exit. Responding to comments from the Argentinian midfielder, he said: “He didn’t do anything wrong here and he has been a great player for us. But he wasn’t playing. He’s a senior player and he was desperate to play. “The World Cup is not far away, so it’s an opportunity for him to play, no more than that.” Pardew said: “When you sit up there and you have got a cappuccino in front of you and it’s a nice afternoon, you can all make wise comments. “As we all know, when the heat of the battle is on, whether it’s tennis, football, American football, we are winners. “That’s what we are paid to do and sometimes in doing that you make a bad tackle, you say the wrong thing, you make a bad judgement – it happens. “I am on the sideline and make no bones about it, I am going to war and I want to win. Tactically, physically, mentally, I am there to win. “I’m not there to fight anybody, but I want my team to win and want to see what I think is justice on the pitch, and when you don’t see that it can affect you. “It affected me a little bit, perhaps too much, but I am wrapped up in trying to win. “Most weeks, I can be very, very calm on the sideline. Sometimes it just doesn’t work that way.” Pardew apologised for his outburst immediately after Sunday’s game and remained contrite as he conducted his pre-match press conference ahead of Saturday’s Barclays Premier League trip to West Ham. Press Association