Jeison Murillo in action for Inter Milan 1 Jeison Murillo, the Manchester United and Leicester City target, insists he will not consider his future until after this month’s Copa America.The 24-year-old is in high demand following an impressive first season at Inter Milan, who he joined from Granada last summer.New United boss Jose Mourinho is a big admirer of the defender and it has been suggested that he will look to make him one of his first signings as manager.Meanwhile, Premier League champions Leicester have tracked Murillo all season and may fancy their chances of luring him to the King Power Stadium with the offer of Champions League football.West Ham, Stoke and Everton have also been credited with an interest in him – but they will all have to wait until the end of this month at the earliest for any decision.Murillo is set to feature for Colombia at the Copa America, which runs until June 26, and he says he will not think about his next move until the competition is over.He told TMW: “What happens outside is there.“But I am keeping my head completely on the tournament. These matches must be addressed seriously.”
1 Martin Skrtel is leaving Liverpool for Fenerbahce After eight years on Merseyside, Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel is leaving the club to join Fenerbahce in Turkey.The Slovakian centre back has played 242 times for the Reds but has fallen victim of Jurgen Klopp’s squad restructuring.He was signed in 2008 by Rafa Benitez for £6.5m from Zenit Saint Petersburg and has earned the reputation of one of the Premier League’s hard men during his time in England.However, that time is at an end and while many Liverpool fans are delighted to see the back of him, there are others who aren’t so happy.See below as Reds divide over their support of the Skrtel.
These kids from Milford enjoyed their day off school by sculpting this huge snowman. Picture by Marie McGrory. Sean Martin from Ballybofey with his super COOL snowman.Emily Cannon CHILLS out her igloo. 🙂Hannah, Eddie and Harry McBride enjoying the snow in Castledoe in Creeslough.Máirtín Mac Crábhagáin sent us in this brilliant picture from Lifford. 🙂Laura Ní Ghallachóir sent us in this snap of her little nephew and niece Caolan and Abbie with their snowman.Little Adam and Annie enjoy the snow in Lifford. 🙂Teresa McGinley sent us in this snap of Rory with his snowman in Lifford.Picture Special: Schoolchildren in Donegal woke up this morning and rejoiced when they looked out their bedrooms windows and seen nothing but snow. The word quickly filtered through that the majority of schools in the county were closing amid fears of the dangers of travelling on the treacherous roads.That meant it was time to build snowmen and start snow fights before the thaw predicted for this afternoon set in.Although snow is dreaded by most because of the traffic disruption it causes, it universally loved by kids.In the images above you can see the joy in their faces and they sculpt their own snowmen.Storm Rachel has arrived and the heavy snow has been replaced by heavy rain, although some forecasters are predicting more snow on Friday. PICTURE SPECIAL: SCHOOLCHILDREN REVEL IN DONEGAL’S WINTER WONDERLAND was last modified: January 14th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FeaturesimagesKidsnewspicture specialsnowWINTER WONDERLAND
A MAN who fell to his death off rocks in Bundoran yesterday had been suffering dizzy spells recently and may have fallen accidentally, Gardaí believe.Jim Kelly, who was from Irvinestown in Co Fermanagh but who had a holiday home in the Donegal seaside town, was found near Nun’s Walk.Relatives say Jim, who was a popular figure in the local community, had been treated in hospital in March after taking ill at Mass, complaining of feeling dizzy. They believe the 73-year-old retired farmer may have suffered another episode of this recent illness when he fell. PENSIONER (73) FELL TO HIS DEATH OFF ROCKS was last modified: April 26th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bundorandonegalIrvinestownJim Kelly
A look at the stories involving Chelsea in Thursday’s newspapers…Chelsea are searching for a replacement for Michael Emenalo, according to the Daily Telegraph.Emenalo, now at Monaco, left his job as Chelsea technical director last November.The Telegraph say Football Association technical director Dan Ashworth and Roma director of football Monchi are among possible options for the Blues.Both men are said to be candidates for a position at Manchester United, who are also reported to be looking to fill a similar role.The Telegraph say other options for Chelsea include former Blues players Michael Ballack and Juliano Belletti.Meanwhile, the Daily Express reports that Ruben Loftus-Cheek is hoping to establish himself in an attacking midfield role at Chelsea under boss Maurizio Sarri.Ruben Loftus-Cheek featured for England in the World Cup © Owen Humphreys/PA WireThe story is based on comments made by Loftus-Cheek to the club’s website.“Playing in a 4-3-3 in an attacking midfield position is kind of my position really, my suited position, so hopefully I can bring my best football to the team,” he said.“The boys are working really hard trying to understand how the boss wants us to play, on and off the ball, and it will only get better.“I have just got to work hard, try and play my best football, and try and get as much time on the pitch as possible.”And the Daily Star link Marcos Alonso with Real Madrid.It comes after Spanish publication Don Balon claimed Real have targeted the Chelsea wide-man. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebookby Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksRecommended for youAspireAbove.comRemember Pauley Perrette? Try Not To Smile When You See Her NowAspireAbove.comUndoRome Hotels | Search AdsRome Hotels Might be Cheaper Than You ThinkRome Hotels | Search AdsUndoLifestly.com25 Celebs You Didn’t Realize Are Gay – No. 8 Will Surprise WomenLifestly.comUndoUsed Cars | Search AdsUsed Cars in Tuen Mun Might Be Cheaper Than You ThinkUsed Cars | Search AdsUndoezzin.com20 Breathtaking Places to See Before You Dieezzin.comUndoFood World Magazine15 Fruits that Burn Fat Like CrazyFood World MagazineUndoDrhealth35 Foods That Should Never Be Placed in the RefrigeratorDrhealthUndoHappyTricks.comHer House Always Smells Amazing – Try her Unique Trick!HappyTricks.comUndo
CLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos on a mobile deviceBud Selig has written an autobiography. If the excerpts in Sports Illustrated are accurate, baseball’s ninth commissioner was a gloomy Gus during Barry Bonds’ 2007 run-up to his record-breaking 756th home run.“This wasn’t the Bataan Death March,” Selig writes. “Nobody was going to die or be forced into hard labor, But the summer of 2007 was unpleasant for me, and when I look back, that’s putting it mildly. It was one …
The launch of South Africa’ second National Spelling Bee saw learners and adults compete in an informal round of the contest. It combines fun competition, literacy awareness and a love for reading. Stakeholders of the 2015 National Spelling Bee honoured the winners of last year’s contest at a launch last week. (Images: Melissa Javan)• South African stars #SayNoToXenophobia • South Africa’s born-frees talk about life • Nigerian student builds solar car from scrap • Edu Fun spreads the love in Diepsloot • Riaad Moosa: Muslims are not extremists Melissa JavanThe Department of Education launched the second annual National Spelling Bee contest on Thursday, 16 April, at the Sci-Bono Discovery Centre in Newtown, Johannesburg.It opened with an informal spelling contest where 12-year-old learner, Angel Hlongwane, triumphed over five other participants that included two grade six learners and three adults.The Spelling Bee was initiated in 2014 to help intermediate phase learners improve their English literacy levels.Panyasa Lesufi, MEC for Education in Gauteng said in a press release that the competition was aimed at promoting a love for reading, writing and spelling for learners between grades four and six. “This popular concept has spread from its early roots in the United States 90 years ago to Canada, Nigeria, Ethiopia, East Asia, China and the Caribbean, to our shores. It is a great way to combine fun competition with the very real target of turning around literacy among our youth.”This year’s Spelling Bee will start in schools this month, followed by the provincial competition in August and the national finals in October.Last year more than 150 000 learners took part in the contest. For every four schools registered in a district, a spelling coach was trained and assigned. Three of the best spellers from each province were then chosen for the national contest. The contestants at the launch could choose words from these buckets before they tried spelling it correctly.Perks of a spelling beeThirteen-year-old Brendan Craven was 2014’s winner. He and runner-up, Hlongwane, were awarded scholarships to study at Monash South Africa University at this year’s launch.When asked how the Spelling Bee changed his life, Craven said: “It put me in the limelight.”Even though he has participated in other school competitions, last year’s Spelling Bee was his first. “I have entered a competition called ‘Battle of the Books’ but my group from my school didn’t make it to the first round last year. We are going to take it more seriously this year.”Battle of the Books quizzes learners on titles they are required to read.Craven said one of his most challenging words to spell is “thoroughbred” – a special bred horse used for racing and that his favourite book is one he is currently reading – Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne.Hlongwane said the competition has improved her spelling. “My reading and understanding of words has also improved. I was also taught pronunciation.”Collective effortSABC’S Iris Cupido, a guest at the launch, saluted parents and the Department of Education for encouraging learners to read. She asked learners to pick up a book when they got home rather than picking up an Xbox gamepad. She remembered how, when she was young, a book would transport her to different places. “I said to my friends: ‘If you want to make me happy, buy me a book.’”Dr Granville Whittle, acting director general for the Department of Basic Education, said there is not enough reading material in classes. “We have to make sure we flood our schools with age appropriate books.”He said it is not just the responsibility of the government. “We have an obligation, not just as the government, but all of us within our communities to make a difference.”Whittle said anyone can volunteer at a school’s reading club. “If the school does not have a reading club, contact the department.”Kone Gugushe, divisional executive for corporate social investment at Nedbank, said they would be investing R2 million and over 20 bank employees are volunteering as coaches and mentors in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.Watch Brendan Craven spell during the launch of the 2015 National Spelling Bee contest:Watch Angel Hlongwane show off her confidence as she takes part in a contest at the launch:
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest We got an inch and two-tenths this last rain, which was the most rain we’ve had in a long time. It will help the double-crop beans a lot. The first planted beans I don’t think it will help much. Most of the corn is already made but it hasn’t black-layered yet so it is still pumping a little moisture into the corn and might help kernel depth a little.We don’t have any beans dropping a lot of leaves yet. We don’t have a real early bean maturity out there. By the end of the month I think harvest will be right about on schedule.We could still have half decent yields. The beans have fairly good height and they look like they have a lot of pods. And, walking corn, I find corn that is pretty nice and then I find some that is not very good. I think we’ll be a little below average but not a huge amount for as dry as we were. We strip-till deep so we have a slot clear down in there for the corn roots to go down deep. We also use anhydrous, which helped this year. I saw some fields where they used 28% and the corn got pretty yellow because the corn didn’t have enough nitrogen. I am sure they put enough on, but I don’t think the 28% ever got enough moisture to move correctly over for the roots to get to it.We are going to stay with the plan with wheat acres this fall. It breaks up the season a little bit. We continue to do yield checks to see what yield penalty we pay in the other crops when we aren’t using wheat. I think the yield penalty is less for corn since we went to strip-till. This year that yield penalty may show up more with the adverse conditions.I would prefer for it to stay moist just a little longer to help settle the tile trenches after all of the ditching we did this year.
FAMILY PORTRAIT: Kaif’s family enjoys the limelight in AllahabadHOME FRONT The son of Uttar Pradesh Ranji Trophy player Mohammed Tarif, now a train ticket collector, and Kaiser Jahan, cricket runs in Kaif’s family, with his elder brother Saif also turning out for the state in the Ranji Trophy.The story of,FAMILY PORTRAIT: Kaif’s family enjoys the limelight in AllahabadHOME FRONT The son of Uttar Pradesh Ranji Trophy player Mohammed Tarif, now a train ticket collector, and Kaiser Jahan, cricket runs in Kaif’s family, with his elder brother Saif also turning out for the state in the Ranji Trophy.The story of how his father, a heart patient, and his mother went to watch Devdas when Kaif came in to bat at Lord’s is famous; few know that brother Saif did watch the cricket and ran over to the hall during the interval to tell his family what had happened.When mother spoke to Kaif, the first question she asked him was, “Beta Honey, Ganguly tere upar chad gaya tha, tujhe chot toh nahin lagi (Didn’t you get hurt when Ganguly jumped on you like that)?”COMING OF AGE At 12, Kaif joined a sports hostel in Kanpur to pursue cricket. He worked his way up the ranks in junior and Uttar Pradesh cricket, a boy driven by ambition to prove that cricketers from his state could make it big time.The Lombard Under-15 World Cup of 1995, where India beat Pakistan in the final, was the time Kaif’s name began to circulate on the national stage. He then led India to victory in the Junior World Cup 1999, and has since kept knocking on all the right doors.GROWING GAINS: Kaif (sitting extreme right) in his early daysPORTRAIT “Kaifu” to his teammates, India’s new “finisher” is one of the fittest players in the team. When the team first introduced “bleep”tests for endurance, Kaif topped the minimum level of 11 set by the physio, reaching a level of 14. As his other teammates struggle with dietary restrictions, Kaif chuckles – he’s one of the rare few who has been told to put on weight, and can eat what he likes.advertisementIn the field they reckon on a good day he can save the team between 12 and 16 runs. Off the field, he’s a quiet sort, who prays five times a day and listens to old Hindi film songs to relax once the cricket is done.Other than cricket, Mohammed Kaif, regular kid, loves climbing on the roof of his home in Kali Mai Lane in Keetganj, Allahabad, to fly kites.
Bits and pieces cricketers are a dime a dozen but by definition, a genuine all-rounder is one who could be picked in the side on the basis of his batting or bowling alone. And that’s as rare as hen’s teeth.Which is why Australia can thank their lucky stars that they possess Shane Watson, a man who almost single-handedly won them both their matches in the World Twenty20 so far with bat and ball.And yet, Watson doesn’t consider himself the best all-rounder in the world. Not by a long shot.”When I look at it, I find myself nowhere near Jacques Kallis, simply because of what he has achieved in all forms of the game,” Watson said when asked to compare himself with the South African great.”People dream of stats like his. Just in Test cricket to have played over 150 matches, scoring at an average of over 56 and getting more than 250 wickets is something that people just dream of. It is a privilege to play in the same era as him. He is a world class T20 player – look at the way he has adapted. For me, if he is not the best, he will still be among the best couple of players to have played the game.” Modesty aside, Watson has truly been the rockstar for the Aussies in the last few years, coming through on the promise he showed when first picked for the country 10 years ago. The spate of injuries he seemed to carry in his kitbag have finally given him some breathing space, and he has pushed his Test and ODI batting averages to 37 and 41 respectively, while his bowling averages are a respectable 28 each.In the rain-affected game against the West Indies on Saturday, Watson had probably made the biggest error possible in T20 cricket by dropping Chris Gayle early on, and took it upon himself to make up for it by first getting him out, and then tonking a 24-ball 41 to keep the Aussies ahead in the Duckworth-Lewis calculations. “I felt the pain (of dropping him) for the next 16 overs. I kept thinking about it and decided I had to make up for it with the bat. But that never makes you feel any better,” Watson said.The man from Ipswich, Queensland, criticised the Australian bowlers for their lacklustre effort, reserving some especially harsh words for himself.”We certainly, at times, bowled well, but there were other times when we executed very poorly, considering we knew exactly where these guys were going to score their runs. Especially Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels, we knew exactly where their strength areas were and we didn’t execute anywhere near what we needed to,” he said.advertisement