TAGSfeaturedfirelimerick RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement Previous articleHandel opera to premier at Lime TreeNext articleHomeless charity appeals to owners of empty properties Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Picture by Twitter user John McCormack Picture by Twitter user John McCormackSEVEN units of Limerick City Fire and Rescue, including the raised platform apparatus, are tackling a fire on the Ballysimon Road in Limerick this Thursday.It is understood that a commercial premises is ablaze and the Ballysimon area of Limerick is under a cloud of billowing smoke.Locals are reporting, through social media, of hearing “popping and banging” coming from the area.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A number of Limerick City and County Fire Service apparatus, including water tankers and the “Bronto”, a raised platform unit for tackling large fires from a height, are on scene.Motorists are advised to avoid the area of the Ballysimon Road near the commercial parks as emergency services and Gardai deal with the incident.More to follow.Click the image to see video by twitter user John McCormack who posted this video of the smoke in the area. Email Twitter Linkedin Facebook Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Print Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WhatsApp Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads NewsBreaking news#BREAKING Commercial fire in LimerickBy Staff Reporter – May 4, 2017 790 Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. chief is pledging that the United Nations will do everything it can to unite the international community and create conditions for the military coup in Myanmar to be reversed. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told a news conference Friday it is absolutely essential to carry out the U.N. Security Council’s calls for a return to democracy, respect for the results of November elections, and release of all people detained by the military, which he says means the reversal of the coup. He says that requires all possible areas of pressure to make it happen. He says Christine Schraner Burgener, the U.N. special envoy for Myanmar, had a first contact Friday with the military since the coup and expressed the U.N.’s strong opposition to the takeover.
Six months on the sidelines at Celtic left the Irishman fearing his chances of joining Martin O’Neill’s squad for this summer’s European Championship were over. But now, after agreeing a six-month move to Easter Road, the striker reckons he still has time to convince the Republic boss to take him to France – even if he is playing outside Scotland’s top flight. The 27-year-old previously spent a season in Edinburgh side after joining the Leith outfit in 2009, when his tally of 24 goals in 48 matches earned him a £1.2million move to Parkhead. Now he is hoping to rediscover that form after his frustrating start to the campaign. Stokes said: “Of course I can win my Ireland place back. It’s down to me to put in the performances that will take me there and work on my fitness to get it back up to 100 per cent. “I need to kick on and do my talking on the pitch. I don’t see any reason why I can’t win my place back. “I haven’t spoken to Martin in the last while and there’s been no assurances. I just want to go out, perform and get my fitness levels up. I haven’t played consistently for five or six months now so I just want to get back into things.” Hibs boss Alan Stubbs fought off interest from Inverness, Dundee United and from clubs down south to land the former Arsenal, Falkirk and Sunderland frontman. But, with the lure of pipping old adversaries Rangers to the Ladbrokes Championship title on offer, Stokes admits he had just one destination in mind when Hoops manager Ronny Deila opened the door for a loan move. “I just thought it was the right move for me,” he said. “I was familiar with the surroundings here, I know a lot of the players and it’s a great club. Press Association “I was here for a season a few years back but really enjoyed my time here. “I’m looking forward to my season and really pushing on. “There were other offers but I normally get a gut feeling or a hunch on these things and I just thought it was a good opportunity. Hibs have had a good season so far and hopefully we win something. “I’m here to be competitive and win titles. We’re obviously in the Championship but that makes no difference to me. I just want to help Hibs in any way we can. “Am I here to stop Rangers winning the league? Well it would be nicer for us to win it.” Stokes last featured for Ronny Deila’s team in August and was forced to apologise after sending an ill-judged tweet when left in the stands at Inverness last month. That episode helped earn him a two-week club ban but he has not written off his Hoops career following talks with chief executive Peter Lawwell. “My future is still at Celtic,” he said. “There is an option there for me to go back and I’ve got another year left on my contract. “That is my plan. I had a brief conversation with Peter and I told him in no uncertain terms I want to go back at the end of the season. “I just hope I can get myself in the best shape possible, put in some performances and go back a better player. “My relationship with the gaffer is absolutely fine. There has been no issue in the background. I haven’t really had a look in this season but it is what it is. “It’s easy to start saying things on Twitter but that was down to frustration. I apologised for it, I retracted it. There’s nothing I can do now other than move on.” Anthony Stokes believes he can fire himself back into the reckoning for Euro 2016 after returning to Hibernian on loan
Kumasi Asante Kotoko will play their remaining home games for the 2019-20 football season at the Accra Sports Stadium.The club announced in a brief tweet that the decision was taken by the club’s management.Kotoko and King Faisal who usually share the Baba Yara Stadium have had to find alternative home grounds for their games following the closure of the stadium in Kumasi due to preparations ahead of March’s Independence Day celebrations.Asante Kotoko play Bechem United and Elmina Sharks in their next two home games in the Ghana Premier League.📣 ANNOUNCEMENT📣Management has chosen the Accra Sports Stadium as our home ground for the remainder of the 2019/2020 season.Meanwhile, our FA Cup duel with Deportivo will be played at Len Clay Stadium in Obuasi at 3 pm on Sunday.#AKSC pic.twitter.com/vyQvY184Ct— Asante Kotoko SC (@AsanteKotoko_SC) February 21, 2020Given the ongoing renovations at the Baba Yara Stadium and the fact that the game against Sharks comes just three days after the March 7 festivities, it was always unlikely that the Porcupine Warriors would play those games at the Stadium.However, it was expected that the club would return to the traditional home ground for the rest of the campaign.In announcing the closure of the stadium, the National Sports Authority (NSA) said renovation works would continue after the celebrations.With that in mind, the Kumasi club have decided to settle on the Accra Sports Stadium as their home ground for the rest of the season.The Baba Yara Stadium is undergoing renovation works ahead of the Independence Day celebrations, with the work set to continue after the festivities.The club also announced that this weekend’s FA Cup tie will be played at the Len Clay Stadium in Obuasi.The Accra Sports Stadium already serves as the home ground for Hearts of Oak, Great Olympics, Inter Allies and Legon Cities this season.