RODRIGO BUENDIA / AFP Organisation EcuadorAmericasColombia Condemning abuses Armed conflictsViolenceHostages April 13, 2018 RSF condemns the murder of Ecuadorean journalists by renegade Colombian rebels News June 7, 2021 Find out more News RSF_en to go further Receive email alerts Follow the news on Americas Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says EcuadorAmericasColombia Condemning abuses Armed conflictsViolenceHostages 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies June 3, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information News WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists Reports May 13, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the murder of two Ecuadorean journalists and their driver by the breakaway faction of Colombia’s FARC rebels that kidnapped them near the border between Ecuador and Colombia in late March, and calls for a transparent and exhaustive investigation by the authorities of both countries. Ecuador’s President Lenin Moreno has just confirmed the deaths of reporter Javier Ortega, photographer Paul Rivas and driver Efraín Segarra. Photos apparently showing the bodies of the three members of El Comercio, one of Ecuardor’s leading daily newspapers, emerged yesterday. They and their driver were abducted in Mataje, on 26 March, a locality in the northern province of Esmeraldas that is just a few kilometres from the border. They had gone to the border region to cover the clashes between government forces and armed groups that have been under way since January.“We condemn this appalling crime with the utmost firmness and we urge the governments of Ecuador and Colombia to provide a detailed account of the circumstances surrounding this murder, RSF deputy director-general Antoine Bernard said. The authorities of both countries have to conduct an independent investigation on the actions took during the last weeks in order to free the journalists. Responsibilities have to be established, and sanctioned if needed”.Many contradictory reports have circulated ever since their abduction was first reported. A communiqué signed by the breakaway FARC group, which was widely reproduced by media outlets and on social networks two days ago, claimed that they were killed in a military operation. An information that was firstly denied by both countries. They argued that the authenticity of the communiqué and the photos could not be verified earlier.Ecuadorean President Lenin Moreno rushed back to Quito late yesterday from Lima, the capital of neighboring Peru, where a Summit of the America began today. On arrival, he said he was giving the abductors 12 hours to prove that the three hostages were still alive. “If not,” he added, “we will act with the utmost firmness (…) to punish these people who violate all human rights.”Ecuador is ranked 105th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. Colombia is ranked 129th.
WhatsApp Email Advertisement Linkedin The scene in Limerick where Patrick Coleman was found murdered in 2007 – his employers are to pay his family the pension benefits he was entitled to a court has been toldby Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE family of a Limerick murder victim could be waiting for more than 12 years to have his death benefit paid in full because his employers failed to pass his contributions on to the pensions board.Patrick ‘Happy’ Coleman (33) was murdered by a 15-year-old boy as he walked to his home in Carew Park after watching the Limerick and Kilkenny All Ireland hurling final in September 2007.He had kicked over a bottle of beer on the path before the teenager followed him and stuck the broken bottle into Mr Coleman’s neck.He died from blood loss some hours later.Mr Coleman had been working for a scaffolding company run by Gerry and Raymond Neilon. In 2007, the company accountant stopped sending the €20 per week deduction from employee wages to the Pensions Board to cover the benefits scheme.Mr Coleman had been paying into that scheme during his time working for the Neilons but as the payments had not been forward for some six months before his death, the insurer deemed that his policy was not active and refused to pay the €76,100 his family was entitled to.A solicitor for the family initiated contact with the Pensions Board and this resulted in Gerry and Raymond Neilon being prosecuted for failing to make remittancers to the fund within 21 days of deduction.At Limerick Circuit Court this week, solicitor for the Pensions Board, Tom Kiely said that both men, who were directors of the company, pleaded guilty to the prosecution initiated at the District Court.Gerry Neilon with an address at Newtown, Pallasgreen was given a six month jail sentence and a €1,000 fine and a bench warrant was issued for the arrest of his brother.The severity of both convictions were appealed at the Circuit Court.Defence solicitor John Devane, said that the two directors had initiated legal proceedings at the High Court where they were suing the company’s former account for breach of duty, but that they had agreed to enter into a €250 monthly payment schedule last July.Adjourning the case for six months, Judge Tom O’Donnell asked that the Pensions Board be kept informed of the High Court proceedings and that they be notified if the payments could increase in value at any time.He also granted liberty for the Pensions Board to mention the case at any time should the payments stop. Previous articleThe Alvin Purple Experience brings Christmas Glam Rock hits and U2Next articleCreche denies accident but compensates child Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Twitter Facebook Print NewsBreaking newsEmployers to pay pension to murdered man’s familyBy Staff Reporter – December 17, 2014 1195