Demel: Carroll could be our guy

first_imgWest Ham defender Guy Demel remains hopeful that on-loan forward Andy Carroll will remain at the club next season. Carroll is currently on a season-long deal at Upton Park from parent club Liverpool, and has scored only five times since moving to east London last summer. But Demel wants the England international to extend his stay at West Ham, and said: “Andy is a really good player and beyond that he is a really good man.” Press Associationcenter_img He went on: “I didn’t know him before he signed for West Ham but to see a young player with the amount of pressure he had and the way he has behaved, I’m really happy to be his team-mate and I’d be really pleased if he stayed and played for West Ham.” Liverpool splashed out £35million on Carroll to take him from hometown club Newcastle in January 2011 as they looked to re-establish themselves in the top four of the Premier League. Despite signing the likes of Carroll, Luis Suarez, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing the Reds have struggled to fight the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea but Demel is still expecting a tough task at Anfield on Sunday. “It is still Anfield, it is still Liverpool,” he added. “They won’t be easy to beat and it won’t be easy to play there even if they aren’t the great Liverpool. “They still have really good players in the squad who are capable of making a difference so we just have to focus on the basics and play our best.” last_img read more

African great Toure blasts football chiefs over racism

first_imgThe 24-year-old restricted his response to cupping a hand to his ear after scoring a goal in the 5-1 thrashing of their opponents.“I was surprised Raheem Sterling stayed so calm,” said Toure.“He is like my little brother. When you have seen what he has done surely he has to be Footballer of the Year.”Toure, though, is painfully aware of how football authorities get excited when racism hits the headlines then drop it, as FIFA did in 2016 by closing down a racism Task Force on which he sat.He dryly observed that with the incident last week his services may be called upon again.“They’ll probably ask me to come and do this or that,” he said.“But I’ve been there for how many years. I’ve been there. People only start to see it when something happens.” Share on: WhatsApp Yaya Toure receiving an award at Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE). PHOTO via @YayaTourecenter_img London, United Kingdom | AFP | Four-time African footballer of the year Yaya Toure says football authorities should be more proactive when it comes to racism.The 35-year-old former Ivory Coast great — who also starred for Barcelona and Manchester City — said football’s governing bodies only reacted once incidents had already occurred, as in the case of the racist chanting during England’s Euro 2020 qualifier in Montenegro last week.The Montenegro fans directed their chants at several England players including defender Danny Rose and striker Raheem Sterling.“They (the football authorities) sit and they have their coffee, their wine,” Toure told the Daily Mirror.“Then they hear a case like Raheem happening and they jump on the phone saying: ‘We have to have a meeting! We have to do something!“It shouldn’t work that way. We have to be proactive. Something that is seen.“We have to be working before that kind of situation with Raheem is happening.”Toure, who was speaking on Sunday after receiving an award from Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE), praised his former Manchester City team-mate Sterling for his behaviour during the match.last_img read more