Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title MOST READ The four-time NBA MVP already has missed four games after getting hurt during the Lakers’ victory at Golden State on Christmas. His recovery schedule will keep him out of the Lakers’ upcoming two-game road trip and a home game against Detroit next week.The Lakers are 1-3 without James in their lineup. They host the New York Knicks on Friday night.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissJames is averaging 27.3 points, 8.3 rebounds and 7.1 assists during his first season with the Lakers. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award No.13 lucky for Orlando Bloom Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew ‘Mia’: Rom-com with a cause a career-boosting showcase for Coleen Garcia Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Shorthanded Celtics beat Mavs behind Gordon Hayward LATEST STORIES OAKLAND, CA – DECEMBER 25: LeBron James #23 of the Los Angeles Lakers leans over in pain after he was hurt against the Golden State Warriors during the second half of their NBA Basketball game at ORACLE Arena on December 25, 2018 in Oakland, California. Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images/AFPLOS ANGELES — LeBron James will miss at least four more games with the Los Angeles Lakers while he recovers from a left groin strain.The Lakers on Friday said James’ injury will be re-evaluated in one week.ADVERTISEMENT View comments After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college
The first low-cost airline connection from Asia to the US will take off in June, with the promise of ultra-cheap tickets between the two regions eventually being available to and from some of America’s biggest cities.But AirAsia X, the long-haul arm of South-East Asia’s biggest budget carrier is being ultra-cautious about expansion to Europe and America.The carrier’s four weekly 377-seat A330-300 flights linking Kuala Lumpur and Honolulu, Hawaii, via Osaka, Japan, take to the air on June 28, 2017, with the prospect that they will quickly be ramped up to daily because of strong interest from Japanese travel agents.“We think about 80 per cent of the traffic will be Japanese,” AirAsia X chief executive Ben Ismail told AirlineRatings.com. “Hawaii is the No.1 destination for Japan. “Talking to (Japanese) agents, there is far more demand than supply at the moment. For Asians in ASEAN (the South-East Asian group of nations), it’s something that we’ll continue to push because it’s good for the brand. We can increase that (four weekly flights) anytime we want to.”AirAsia X normally concentrates on non-stop point-to-point services of seven to nine hours flight duration, which fits the profile of the new Honolulu service, except that, from Kuala Lumpur, it’s two sectors instead of one.It’s the airline’s second one-stop destination after it inaugurated one-stop A330 flights from Kuala Lumpur to Auckland, New Zealand, via Australia’s Gold Coast, last year.According to Ismail, that has been an outstanding success with passenger loads between Auckland and the Gold Coast averaging 85 per cent, opening up a new daily market for New Zealanders in search of cheap beach holidays in Queensland.Now that the airline has secured approvals to operate to the US via Japan from both safety and international government air-rights regulators, Ismail says it will be simply a matter of announcing new services as soon as the necessary aircraft become available.However, Ismail says operating to the US east coast – to New York, for example – would be “too much of a stretch” for the airline’s A330s.“I think the nearest for us would Los Angeles or San Francisco,” he says. “They’re very Asian-dominated markets. “Maybe Las Vegas is something we will also explore. But it will not be in the next two years or so.”Alas, with the current generation of airliners – even the long-range A350, which AirAsia X has ordered – the prospect of operating non-stop to the US from Kuala Lumpur is unlikely because the economics of ultra-long-range flight don’t stack up for a low-cost carrier. “Long-haul non-stop to the US would be a stretch for us,” Ismail says, “but we’ll never rule anything out.”Ismail has also put a dampener on plans – touted enthusiastically by AirAsia founder Tony Fernandes in the past two years – to return to London. The last time AirAsia X operated services to London and Paris, before they were axed in 2012, the airline lost money and the airline is being careful not to repeat that experience.“We’re still running the numbers,” he says. “We’re looking at the right aircraft to do this.” That refers to the fact that the airline has ordered both the longer-range A330-300neo (“new engine option”) and the new-generation fuel-efficient A350.“We’re doing some analysis on the yields going into London, but we haven’t concluded yet whether we’re doing it or not,” Ismail says. “We will know in the next few months. If the numbers make sense, we will announce it very quickly (this year), but if they don’t, we put it on the backburner for a while.”The first low-cost long-haul service linking South-east Asia and southern Europe starts in June 2017 when Singapore Airlines subsidiary, Scoot, begins flying from Singapore to Athens four times a week using Boeing Dreamliner 787-8s.
Bits and pieces cricketers are a dime a dozen but by definition, a genuine all-rounder is one who could be picked in the side on the basis of his batting or bowling alone. And that’s as rare as hen’s teeth.Which is why Australia can thank their lucky stars that they possess Shane Watson, a man who almost single-handedly won them both their matches in the World Twenty20 so far with bat and ball.And yet, Watson doesn’t consider himself the best all-rounder in the world. Not by a long shot.”When I look at it, I find myself nowhere near Jacques Kallis, simply because of what he has achieved in all forms of the game,” Watson said when asked to compare himself with the South African great.”People dream of stats like his. Just in Test cricket to have played over 150 matches, scoring at an average of over 56 and getting more than 250 wickets is something that people just dream of. It is a privilege to play in the same era as him. He is a world class T20 player – look at the way he has adapted. For me, if he is not the best, he will still be among the best couple of players to have played the game.” Modesty aside, Watson has truly been the rockstar for the Aussies in the last few years, coming through on the promise he showed when first picked for the country 10 years ago. The spate of injuries he seemed to carry in his kitbag have finally given him some breathing space, and he has pushed his Test and ODI batting averages to 37 and 41 respectively, while his bowling averages are a respectable 28 each.In the rain-affected game against the West Indies on Saturday, Watson had probably made the biggest error possible in T20 cricket by dropping Chris Gayle early on, and took it upon himself to make up for it by first getting him out, and then tonking a 24-ball 41 to keep the Aussies ahead in the Duckworth-Lewis calculations. “I felt the pain (of dropping him) for the next 16 overs. I kept thinking about it and decided I had to make up for it with the bat. But that never makes you feel any better,” Watson said.The man from Ipswich, Queensland, criticised the Australian bowlers for their lacklustre effort, reserving some especially harsh words for himself.”We certainly, at times, bowled well, but there were other times when we executed very poorly, considering we knew exactly where these guys were going to score their runs. Especially Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels, we knew exactly where their strength areas were and we didn’t execute anywhere near what we needed to,” he said.advertisement
Sahara Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg will be driving for Sauber in the 2013 Formula One season, BBC reported on Sunday.The report said Mexican Esteban Gutierrez will be Hulkenberg’s teammate next year, leaving Kamui Kobayashi without a seat.Kobayashi’s current teammate at Sauber, Sergio Perez, will be shifting to McLaren in 2013.”Sauber have not yet officially confirmed Hulkenberg but the deal is understood already to be done,” said the report.The report also claimed that former Force India driver Adrian Sutil is in the reckoning to be Hulkenberg’s replacement at the Silverstone-based team. Force India parted ways with Sutil last year and elevated Hulkenberg from the role of a reserve.The report added that Kobayashi, former Toro Rosso driver Sebastien Buemi and Jamie Alguersuari are also in the running for the Force India seat.Hulkenberg and Paul di Resta form the current line-up for Force India.When asked about his future, Hulkenberg told IANS, “I really enjoy this team (Force India), I know everybody really well and I enjoy working with the guys. At the moment my focus is simply on 2012 and doing the best job I can.”Hulkenberg battled through the 55-lap race to finish sixth in the Korean Grand Prix on Sunday, pushing him to 12th spot in the drivers’ championship with 45 points from 16 rounds. Di Resta is a a place below the German with 44 points.Force India are in seventh place in the constructors’ championship with 89 points, behind Sauber on 116.
Already, some eight communities have been earmarked to benefit from the project. Story Highlights The Executive Director pointed out that they will continue to encourage Jamaicans overseas who want to contribute to local community development. The DYC initiative seeks to leverage human and financial resources that are located in the Diaspora to strengthen the capacity and entrepreneural skills in a number of inner-city communities. Jamaica’s Diaspora movement will take another leap on October 17, with the launch of the Diaspora Youth Connect (DYC) Project, slated for the Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ), in Kingston.The Jamaica Diaspora Institute, the operating arm of the Jamaica Diaspora Foundation, is overseeing the DYC initiative, which seeks to leverage human and financial resources that are located in the Diaspora to strengthen the capacity, the entrepreneurial and business management skills, community development skills, youth empowerment/mobilization skills, and Information Communication Technology (ICT) skills in a number of inner-city communities.Already, some eight communities have been earmarked to benefit from the project – August Town, Trench Town, Mountain View, Flanker, Granville, Fletcher’s Land, Tower Hill and Parade Gardens. Volunteers have done asset mapping exercise, which sought to gather information on the assets of the communities that will benefit from the initiative.Speaking at a Jamaica Information Service (JIS) ‘Think Tank’, on October 8, at the agency’s head office in Kingston, Executive Director of the Jamaica Diaspora Institute, Professor Neville Ying, outlined that the DYC has sought to forge sustainable partnerships with community-based and youth empowerment organizations within the eight selected communities.“We have laid the platform for a very exciting project going forward, and we want to maximize the use of partnerships that is very key to the success of the programme. We want to further test the models that we have come upon, and make sure that we refine them, so that they can be replicated to be used in a variety of communities across Jamaica,” he said.The Executive Director pointed out that they will continue to encourage Jamaicans overseas who want to contribute to local community development. “We see this as another important means of them supporting Jamaica. Once you have something that sounds meaningful and impactful, the Diaspora gets very excited, and want to help,” Mr. Ying added.Representatives from the Government officials, several overseas agencies, as well as the two main partners, the PIOJ and Cuso International will participate in the launch.The DYC project was highlighted at the recently held 5th Biennial Jamaica Diaspora Conference, in Montego Bay.
Multi-platinum Streamsound recording artist Kristian Bush (Sugarland) and Goodwill Industries of Houston connected donors and Goodwill job connection program participants with a benefit concert and donation event held in Houston, TX last week (12/11).Through a national partnership between Bush and Goodwill Industries International, fans were encouraged to provide an item or financial donation for free entry into Bush’s live concert, meet some of Goodwill’s job connection center program participants in person, and see how their donations directly impact lives and help create jobs.The event brought to life the meaning of Bush’s Top 30-and-climbing single “Trailer Hitch,” which reminds us that we collect so many things that we don’t need and we can’t take it with us when we go… so why not “give it away”?Goodwill Industries of Houston President and CEO Steve Lufburrow attended the event, hosted by KKBQ “The New 93Q”, to talk about the initiative and help kick off the live concert with Bush.“Thank you to everyone who came out to last night’s event. It was an honor to help Houstonians make the connection between the everyday items they donate to Goodwill and the members of their community who have received jobs or are going through training for future careers because of those donations. Goodwill’s message is ‘Donate Stuff. Create Jobs.’ And last night, we got to see the magic of that message in person,” said Bush.“We are honored that the Houston community was chosen as the kick-off for Kristian’s partnership with our Goodwill agencies across North America,” said Steve Lufburrow, president and CEO of Goodwill Houston. “Kristian’s concert last evening drew hundreds of Houston area residents who brought used clothing, household goods and monetary donations. The revenue from the sale of these donations empowers community residents to meet their goals and fulfill their futures through job training programs and support services. We are grateful for Kristian’s support of Goodwill, and encourage others to donate what they no longer need.”Earlier this week, Bush performed an exclusive concert preview for Houston media in a news conference at Goodwill Houston headquarters. He visited with staff, toured the job connection center and talked about the importance of the partnership and the #GiveItAway campaign.“Trailer Hitch” is the lead single from his forthcoming debut solo album, SOUTHERN GRAVITY (Streamsound Records), executive produced by Byron Gallimore.Fans are encouraged to continue donating to Goodwill year round. For more information on the #GiveItAway campaign, click here.Source:PR Newswire
What would have been the fate of Shahjahan’s Taj Mahal had the emperor lived in the present times? Taj Mahal Ka Tender, a play that was staged at Sri Ram Centre yesterday narrated how, if the Taj Mahal were to be built today, the bureaucratic machinery would never let it build. The play written by Ajay Shukla and directed by SP Singh Senger is a hilarious burlesque. It also looks at how corruption at every level of governance would make it difficult, even impossible, to execute something of this kind. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The persistent Shahjahan, in no mood to accept excuses for delays, and sends the somnolent Government construction department into tizzy. The engineers and overseers get down to business to fulfill emperors wish, as if they really could. An outbreak of activities ensues but in a typical sarkari manner. Tenders are issued. Contractors are hired. But, does the project see light of the day? Or, does the mogul emperor, fast forwarded in time, become a victim of the system himself? Whatever may happen to the wonder tomb, but it was a lofty laughter castles as the curtains came down of Taj Mahal ka Tender.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) president Lalu Prasad Yadav’s two of the most trusted senior IAS officers have been moved into departments held by the party patron’s sons in the Bihar cabinet.1982-batch IAS officer Sudhir Kumar, who was with Lalu Prasad during his tenure as Railway minister, has been made Principal Secretary Road Construction Department under charge of Deputy Chief Minister Tejaswi Yadav, a government notification issued last night said. Also Read – Punjab on alert after release of excess water from Bhakra damA 1987-batch IAS officer RK Mahajan has been moved from Education department and made Principal Secretary of Health held by Lalu Prasad’s another son Tej Pratap Yadav.Mahajan had served as Executive Director, Public Grievances, Minister of Railways when Lalu Prasad was in Rail Bhawan during UPA I.The Nitish Kumar government effected the changes in senior levels of the bureaucracy last night to further tone up administration.The new post of Sudhir Kumar, who is waiting for the posting, has been upgraded to the rank of Chief Secretary from the day of his joining, the notification said. He replaces Arun Kumar Singh in RCD, who has been moved to Water Resources department. Also Read – Union Min doubts ‘vote count’ in Bareilly, seeks probeMeanwhile, Vijay Prakash, Commissioner of Agriculture Production has been given additional charge of Vigilance department. DS Gangwar, Principal Secretary to CM has been transferred to Education department. He would continue to hold responsibility as Principal Secretary to the CM as well Resident Commissioner of Bihar at Delhi.Brajesh Mehrotra (89 batch IAS) has been transfered from Health department to Cabinet Coordination department.