County Councillor’s appeal against drink-driving conviction is adjourned

first_imgThe appeal of a Donegal County Councillor against a drink driving conviction has been adjourned to a special sitting of the Letterkenny Circuit Court next month.Fianna Fáil Councillor Ciaran Brogan was banned from driving for three years in December 2016 at Letterkenny District Court when found guilty of being drunk in charge of a vehicle. Brogan was said to have been found asleep behind the wheel of a Toyota Avensis parked on a road at Ballymacool, Letterkenny on June 22, 2015.Brogan (44) of Sockar, Trentagh, denied the charge.Defence counsel had travelled from Dublin this afternoon to represent Brogan, but Judge John O’Hagan told today’s sitting of Letterkenny Circuit Court that he was adjourning the matter to the July sitting when the appeal will be heard by a visiting judge.County Councillor’s appeal against drink-driving conviction is adjourned was last modified: June 30th, 2017 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Ciaran BroganCouncillor Ciaran Brogandrink drivingfianna faillast_img read more

Appeal against €453,000 award to Donegal man whose foot was crushed is dismissed

first_imgAn appeal over a €453,000 damages award made to a young Donegal man whose foot was crushed by a digger while he was working in a quarry has been dismissed.The three-judge Court of Appeal previously rejected claims by one appellant, Michael McDaid, it could not validly hear the appeal because two of the judges were women. Brothers Michael and Charles McDaid, representing themselves, and McDaid Quarries Ltd, unrepresented, appealed the €453,000 award to David McLaughlin over devastating injuries suffered on June 26 2003, when he was aged 17, at a quarry near Burnfoot.In his amended claim, Mr McLaughlin, originally from Buncrana but now living in the US, alleged he suffered the injuries after a 55 ton track excavator was driven over his foot by another man, also aged 17. Half of his right foot was later amputated.The High Court’s Mr Justice Michael Hanna found Mr McLaughlin and the excavator driver were both working for McDaid Quarries at the relevant time and held the employers were negligent and failed to take adequate precautions for the safety of Mr McLaughlin.In the Court of Appeal judgment, Ms Justice Mary Irvine noted the appellants alleged the claim was fraudulent in that Mr McLaughlin originally claimed his injuries were caused by negligent use of a motor lorry and the accident involved the wheel of a lorry.For full story see https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/453000-damages-appeal-made-by-man-whose-foot-was-crushed-dismissed-824577.htmlAppeal against €453,000 award to Donegal man whose foot was crushed is dismissed was last modified: January 26th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:appeal footBurnfootcourtdonegalInjurylast_img read more