Skills Academy plans push ahead

first_imgLeading figures from across the baking industry are being invited to join a representative steering group to push forward plans for a new National Skills Academy for Bakery, following a successful skills summit at the Baking Industry Exhibition last week.Justine Fosh, director of the National Skills Academy, told the One Voice for Training conference that between five and 10 bakery employers from craft, plant and the major retailers are being sought to thrash out a common path for the sector over the next two weeks. The steering group’s remit will cover training and qualification needs, long-term funding and identifying a training provider as a hub or ’champion’ of the academy, alongside other skills providers.The National Skills Academy was launched in August 2007, in a bid to support the government’s 2006 Leitch Report on skills, which threatens levies on emp-loyers if progress towards mee- ting training needs is not made.Delivering John Renshaw’s keynote conference paper in absentia, British Bakels’ MD Paul Morrow urged a unified industry-wide stance on upping skills levels. He said: “The creation of skills academies is the main opportunity for employers to grasp the agenda and demand the kind of training and skills development we feel we need in our businesses, so that no longer is our business growth restricted by skills gaps.”Alliance for Bakery Students and Trainees general secretary Matthew May said maintaining the momentum would be critical to establishing the academy: “What it cannot turn into is a talking shop. If the industry agrees that is what needs to happen, we need to make it happen, and it’s a long-term commitment.”To get involved in shaping the future of bakery training, contact Justine Fosh, tel: 0845 644 0558 or email [email protected] foodanddrink.nsacademy.co.uklast_img read more

News story: Burial service for soldiers of the first world war

first_imgBurial for Private Thomas EdmundsonA burial service will be held on Wednesday 14 March at Perth Cemetery (China Wall), Belgium, for Private (Pte) Thomas Edmundson. Pte Edmundson was killed in action during the first world war while serving with the Durham Light Infantry.His remains were discovered near the town of Zonnebeke and were identified using DNA testing.He will be buried with full military honours on 14 March.The service has been organised by the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre and will be attended by British Defence Staff, members of the family, regimental representatives from the Rifles Regiment and local dignitaries. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission will be providing the headstone.Burial Service for 2 Soldiers of the First World WarA burial service will be held on Thursday 15 March at Orchard Dump Cemetery, France, for 2 soldiers of the first world war.Their remains were discovered during excavation work near the town of Gavrelle. One soldier belonged to the Durham Light Infantry; intensive research and DNA testing has been carried out but unfortunately, to date, his identity has not been established. The other soldier served with the Bedfordshire Regiment, but it has not been possible to identify him.They will be buried with full military honours on 15 March.The service has been organised by the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre and will be attended by British Defence Staff, regimental representatives from both The Rifles and Royal Anglian Regiments and local dignitaries. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission will be providing the headstones.last_img read more

UWF Men’s Basketball Rolls Past Puerto Rico Rio Pedras 70-50

first_imgUWF Men’s Basketball Rolls Past Puerto Rico Rio Pedras 70-50 Share Nov. 17, 2007  Box Score    PENSACOLA, Fla. – The West Florida Men’s basketball team is now 2-0, following their second straight 20 point win. This time the Argos put away Puerto Rico Rio Pedras 70-50 with some great defense. “I thought our defense was real good at the start of the game, stated head coach Don Hogan. “They (Puerto Rico) just played Florida Tech to a very close game, so we knew that they were a good team, and we came out very good defensively.”The Argos cruised out to an 18-2 lead and never looked back. Junior Kenny Holmes (Slidell, La.) led West Florida with 14 points and 10 rebounds. “Kenny is starting to get back to the way he played before injuries,” said Hogan. “He plays very aggressive, and is a good hustler and leaper.” Josh Jackson (Jr. / Madison, Wisc.) and Ryan Henry (Jr. / Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) also scored in double digits with 11 and 10 respectively. Lucas Evangelista (Sr. / Argentina) came off the bench to pull down 10 rebounds and dish out two assists in 24 minutes.Coach Hogan was pleased with his team’s ability to handle different defenses. “We have had two games against quick athletic teams that constantly change defenses, and we have handled it well. We have had a great chance to figure out our rotations and lineups on the floor. We played a lot of people, and the minutes are well distributed, and that will help our depth in upcoming games.” The next game for the Argonauts is Tuesday night at the UWF Fieldhouse against Nova Southeastern at 7:30 pm.West Florida out rebounded the Gallitos 51-37, with Holmes and Evangelista each pulling down four offensive rebounds. Point Guard Deondre Boynton (Jr. / Pompano Beach, Fla.) had eight assists and seven rebounds, and has now played two very solid games distributing the basketball. Freshmen Chris Ammons (Navarre, Fla.) came off the bench to score seven points in his 15 minutes of play. Nine different Argonauts played at least 10 minutes, and 11 different players scored for West Florida.West Florida shot 47% for the game, and the same for both halves, while holding Puerto Rico to only 19% shooting in the first half, and 28% for the game. Abraham Colon led the Gallitos with 13 points and four assists. The West Florida defense forced 19 Puerto Rico turnovers. Charles Bouie (Jr. / Pahokee, Fla.) got the Argos going early as he scored the first basket on a nifty spin move and moments later Rod Doss (Jr. Athens, Ala.) added a dunk to spark an 8-0 run to start the game. The Gallitos would never get any closer the rest of the way. Print Friendly Versionlast_img read more

Swansea announce Michu departure from the Liberty Stadium

first_imgSwansea have parted company with Spain forward Michu by mutual consent. “Both parties have reached a financial agreement over the remainder of the 29-year-old’s contract, which ran until the end of this season,” said a statement on Swansea’s official club website. “The agreement will allow Michu to become a free agent and assist him to find a new club straight away in order to kick-start his playing career again in January.” Michu proved an instant hit following his £2million move from Rayo Vallecano in July 2012, scoring four times in his first three games and ending the season with 22 goals as Swansea won the Capital One Cup – the club’s first major trophy in 101 years. But Michu’s second season at Swansea became a frustrating affair despite the Oviedo-born player being capped by Spain coach Vincente Del Bosque in a World Cup qualifier against Belarus in October 2013. Injury restricted him to 24 appearances, in which he scored six goals, and his final game for Swansea came in a 1-0 defeat at Hull in April 2014. Michu joined Napoli on loan the following season but he made only five appearances for the Serie A club as he suffered further ankle misery, and he is expected to make the move back to Spain after his stint in Wales. Press Associationcenter_img The move had been expected since last summer when manager Garry Monk confirmed that the once-capped Spain international would not play for the Barclays Premier League club again. But talks over terminating the player’s contract had dragged on until now with both parties seeking to find a suitable settlement. last_img read more